I instantly loved this pattern when Tasia from Sewaholic released it last year. I held off purchasing it because I have not had much luck in the past with making jackets that fit. One of my sewing resolutions this year was to complete a jacket so I bit the bullet with the Cordova.
After reading a couple reviews on Pattern Review, the general consensus was that the pattern runs big and to size down. I trusted their opinions and cut a 10 instead of my usual Sewaholic 12. Then I panicked while tissue fitting. I felt like my arms would end up straitjacketed if I went with a true 10 so I decided to use a 1/4″ seam in the shoulders and top of the sleeves.
I am kicking myself for the fabric I used. I was reading everyone’s reviews but the pattern creator’s. Tasia had made a sample out of an almost identical linen fabric and noted that it wasn’t the most flattering color. Unfortunately, I kind of agree. Since I am pretty pale a good chunk of the year, a darker color would have served me better. I also am not sure if the shoulder poofiness is something I can pull off. I’m good with the peplum style, though.
Overall, I’m pleased to report that the jacket came together pretty easily and looks how it is supposed to look (always a bonus). I probably could have gotten by with the 5/8″ seam and the fit could be better through the shoulders. I’m not going to focus on the negatives with this project. I made a jacket…a lined jacket…and I’m fairly proud of my efforts.